Saturday, February 10, 2024

MARIE, STILL DANCING

Directed and choreographed by Susan Stroman

Open: 22.03.2019 - Seattle's 5th Avenue Theatre
Photos by Paul Kolnik

"... And the extended dance number "The Choices" exhibits the vivid theatricality you'd expect from Stroman, given her choreographic ingenuity in "The Producers" and so many other shows. In this late Act 2 set piece, Marie has been kicked out of the ballet company and is plagued by surreal images of laundress drudges tugging on one end of her fears, and scandalous cancan dancers and lascivious swells tugging on the other. Akin to the groundbreaking "dream ballets" created by Agnes de Mille for "Carousel" and"Oklahoma!," this nightmarish fantasia expresses in music and movement the dark choices faced by "les petits rats" (French slang for these ballerinas)." - by Misha Berson in The Seattle Times

"Sure, I enjoy dance. And yes, I’ve seen many productions of musical theater that have enrapturing elements. However, I have never caught myself so fully engaged in a musical number as I was last night while watching Tiler Peck (Young Marie van Goethem) encompass a stage, sorrowfully swaying, gliding, soaring and tip toeing with and through a profoundly proficient supporting cast.

In this climactic dance number, I found myself fully within the work, not wanting the song, the dance or the message to end. It was one of those transcendent moments that only live theater can offer, when the heart and the motivation of the creators of the work come alive in the room. I know these words might sound foolish to some, but this world has been laying heavy on my soul lately. Last night, I found a moment of needed refreshing." - by Douglas Bursch in Culture, Review

No comments:

Post a Comment